- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Critical study of Edvard Munch and Edward Hopper - two artists whos work was executed mainly during the early and mid 20th century
The first 200 words of this essay...
I decided to look at two artists whose work was executed mainly in the early and mid 20th Century.
Edvard Munch was born in Loten, Norway, on December 12 1862 and died in Ekely, near Oslo, on January 23 1944.
Edward Hopper was born in Nyack, New York, on July 22 1882 and died in New York City on May 15 1967.
I thought it would be interesting to compare these two artists of whom one, Munch, lived in and worked in Scandinavia and Europe surrounded by a vast historical wealth of art and music and the other, Hopper, who lived and worked in the still very much developing society of artists and musicians in America. It is fair to say that, as far as art is concerned, America was still very much a 'New World' by comparison to Europe. They did, however, share some common denominators in their respective lives. In the early and mid 1900s both Europe and America experienced huge industrialisation, economic instability, depression, political turmoil and wars. Although in the case of America the wars were remote and mostly only the young men sent to fight experienced first hand the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Art & Design (view all)
- How does colour affect the mood of the art work? Examinatio...
- AS Photography - Statement of Intent
- Photography Project Evaluation. Theme of "Journey"...
- Graffiti art is an art form.
- Fashion is the style and custom prevalent at a given time. P...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.