- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Mannerism: An artistic style of the late 16th century characterized by distortion of elements such as scale and perspective - The Artist: Jacopo Pontormo.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Mannerism: An artistic style of the late 16th century characterized by distortion of elements such as scale and perspective.
The Artist: Jacopo Pontormo
Jacopo Pontormo was born in Pontormo, 1494 and died in Firenze, 1557. Pontormo was the son of a painter named Bartolommeo Carrucci. He was apprenticed to various artists that include Leonardo da Vinci. At the age of 18 he entered the workshop of Andrea Del Sarto. Jacopo Pontormo was talented and was even praised by Michelangelo.
His Style of Work:
At around 1515, he had already created a unique style in his works. His works were full of restless movement and disconcertingly irrational effects of scale and space. One of his works, an altarpiece for the Church of San Michele Visdomini, Florence, reflects an emotionalism, a departure from the balance and tranquility of the Renaissance.
Pontormo was primarily a religious painter, but he painted a number of sensitive portraits. In 1521 was employed by the Medici family to decorate their villa at Poggio a Caiano in which an apparently peaceful scene reveals a strong undercurrent of obsession.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Art & Design (view all)
- Fashion is the style and custom prevalent at a given time. P...
- Art Analysis: Safely Contained, Image: Scarface, Artist: Mil...
- Roy Lichtenstein: - Biography
- The Restoration and the Eighteenth Century (1660-1785)
- Roy Lichtenstein was the most visual of all The Pop Artist. ...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.