- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
IPE Case Study on Nike.
The first 200 words of this essay...
IPE Case Study #3
Nike. The word in Japanese means victory. However in the past two decades it has become synonymous with sweatshops and anti-globalization. Nike's image has grown into one of a sweatshop employer, forcing young women especially to toil long hours in difficult conditions for substandard wages. Le, a 19-year old woman living on the outskirts of Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, worked in a factory making Nike shoes. She worked six day weeks for $1.84 per day or $48 per month in 1998, slightly better than Vietnam's minimum wage for the region. With the rise of Multination Corporations or MNC's in the past 50 years several key questions are being debated. Labor activists, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), women's groups, and human rights activists have long claimed that the footwear and apparel industries have relied upon "sweatshops". The most common of their concerns have been wages, hours, working conditions, the ability to organize unions, and physical treatment of workers. Laborers in the Less Developed Countries (LDCs) they charge arrive at work and are frequently overseen by supervisors who don't speak the same language, who often use militaristic discipline
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Case Studies and Analysis (view all)
- Skills and Knowledge Needed to Work In A Business Environme...
- I will be analysing the legal, ethical and operational issue...
- Does the increasingly global nature or business mean that al...
- SWOT, PEST and Boston Matrix analysis for Sainsburys.
- Business information and communication at Tescos.
- Business Enviroment Essay - Describe the Stakeholders in Tes...
- Describe the Objectives and Online Activity of Three Busines...
- Compare the function of formats and locations in retailing -...
- How Breach of Contract Might Affect a New Business.
- SWOT analysis for a car wash business.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.