- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
- Essay length: 3457 words
- Submitted: 03/03/2009
The first 200 words of this essay...
Market research is the collection of information or data to better understand what is happening in the market place. A firm's marketing department needs to know about economic trends, as well as consumers' views. Based on this information, they can put together a marketing plan, which will meet their own needs as well as those of their consumers.
There are two general types of research:
* Primary or field research- Obtaining new data for a specific purpose. The marketing department of a firm or a specialist research organization can provide this. Typically, the data is gathered by:
Interview: This is the technique most associated with marketing research. Interview can be:
> Telephone: Telephone ownership is very common in developed countries. It is ideal for collecting data from a geographically dispersed sample. The interviews tend to be very structured and tend to lack depth. Telephone interviews are cheaper to conduct than face-to-face interviews (on a per person basis).
Advantages of telephone interviews
* Can be geographically spread
* Can be set up and conducted relatively cheaply
* Random samples can be selected
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Marketing & Research (view all)
- Explain how and why groups of customers are targeted for sel...
- Marketing Research. Explain how different marketing research...
- Mcdonalds Marketing Mix
- M1: Explain how the promotional aspect is integrated and use...
- Creative Product Promotion
- M1-Compare marketing techniques used in marketing products i...
- Describe how marketing techniques are used to market product...
- Marketing Analysis of Dominos Pizza
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of using profession...
- Explain the role of advertising agencies in the development ...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.