- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Motivation. Douglas McGregor in his book; The Human Side Of enterprise, examined theories on behaviour of individuals at work, and he has formulated 2 models, which he calls Theory X and Theory Y.
- Essay length: 4872 words
- Submitted: 14/03/2008
The first 200 words of this essay...
Its often said that the best businesses have the best motivated workers, because well-motivated employees are usually characterised by: Higher productivity, better quality work with less wastage, a greater sense of urgency, more employee feedback and employees working at 80-95% of their ability. De-motivation can lead to low productivity, poor production, strikes/industrial disputes and complaints about pay and work. There are many theories that are available to businesses to improve the performance of their workers; I have looked at these below:
Douglas McGregor in his book; "The Human Side Of enterprise", examined theories on behaviour of individuals at work, and he has formulated 2 models, which he calls Theory X and Theory Y.
Theory X Assumptions:
* People inherently dislike work
* People must be controlled to do work to achieve objectives
* People prefer to be directed
Theory Y Assumptions:
* People view work as being as natural as play and rest
* People will exercise self direction and control towards achieving objectives they are committed to
* People learn to accept and seek responsibility
McGregor realises that some of his theories he has
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
People & Operations Management (view all)
- Unit 13 - Organising an Event
- Teamwork. There are several reasons why a business may organ...
- How employee performance is managed and measured at a busine...
- Working in a business environment
- Team working
- Prepare a short report that describes why costs and budgets ...
- Describe the recruitment and retention process and documenta...
- Unit 4 Effective people communication and information - job ...
- Assess the importance of employability and personal skills i...
- What is a supply chain? Use examples in your answer.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.