- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Sony,the Japanese company, is involved in insurance and on-line banking as well as computers, electronics and computer games. a) Explain why a company might wish to produce a diverse range of products rather than specialise.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Q. Sony,the Japanese company, is involved in insurance and on-line banking as well as computers, electronics and computer games.
a) Explain why a company might wish to produce a diverse range of products rather than specialise.
[A Level 2003 Paper 4]
Diversification involves production of different products by the same company or country. Specialization is the extreme opposite as it means to concentrate in the production of one type of product with the resources available.
With reference to the Japanese company, Sony, it is likely that it has diversified in its production because the electronics market has rapidly changing market conditions. This is because of the fierce competition among the large electronics-producing companies as well as the fast development of technology and hence product development.
For example, in all the cell phone market, recently there has been a demand shock arising as a result of the release of the new model of mobile phone 'k-800i' by Sony Ericsson.The company benefited from massive sales because of the advanced camera features added to the cell. However, only later did the drawbacks involving small memory capacity begin to be realised among the consumers.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Case Studies and Analysis (view all)
- I will be analysing the legal, ethical and operational issue...
- Skills and Knowledge Needed to Work In A Business Environme...
- SWOT, PEST and Boston Matrix analysis for Sainsburys.
- Primark. The company I have chosen to look at is Primark, i...
- Business information and communication at Tescos.
- Business Enviroment Essay - Describe the Stakeholders in Tes...
- Describe the Objectives and Online Activity of Three Busines...
- Compare the function of formats and locations in retailing -...
- How Breach of Contract Might Affect a New Business.
- SWOT analysis for a car wash business.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student