- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Purpose and Scope of MIS - Management information systems.
- Essay length: 5930 words
- Submitted: 16/09/2003
Are you in the right place?
Jump to ICT in business and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
1.1 The Purpose and Scope of MIS
Management Information Systems can be defined as 'The combination of human and computer based resources that results in the collection, storage, retrieval, communication and use of data for the purpose of efficient management of operations and for business planning'. Source: Kelly
Management Information Systems are primarily concerned with the delivery of information (both internal and external) to organisational members from the shop floor workers to the management. The purpose of MIS is to help the smooth running of the business by providing information on the firms data (such as accounting figures) employees from different levels will then evaluate this information so that decisions can be made to ensure that the business remains competitive and successful.
MIS have been created to support the whole range of business's administration and regulatory activities and can be seen in all parts of the world and in all types of industries both public and private sector. In the US, for example, the National Drivers Register has MIS facilities to report on driver licence details, such as all those within a given state whose licence has been revoked or suspended (Danziger, 1991). Similarly, the Environmental
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
ICT in Business (view all)
- Outline electronic and non-electronic methods for communicat...
- Unit 4 Business Studies
- Analyse different types of business information and their so...
- Business Stakeholders Marks and Spencers
- business online
- How Tesco complies with current ICT legislation
- To what extent does the use of business software guarantee s...
- In this task I will be going over the legal, ethical and ope...
- E-commerce case study - Online Music Bussiness.
- The above chart compares the usability features of three con...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.