- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What is the difference between oligopoly and monopolistic competition?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Q. What is the difference between oligopoly and monopolistic competition?
An oligopoly market structure is one in which there are a few large producers who are present in the industry and account for most of the output in the industry, there are many small firms but these few large firms dominate and have concentrated market shares.
Whereas monopolistic competition is a market structure that has a large number of sellers, each of which is relatively small and posse a very small market share.
Another feature of an oligopoly is that there are some barriers to entry and exit into the industry. In the short run, oligopolies are able to earn abnormal profit, but in the long run as well they are able to sustain abnormal profits due to the barriers to entry and exit.
The barriers act as a strong deterrent to firms that want to come into the industry and " eat into" the abnormal profits and then exit the industry. Thus not many firms dare to venture into the industry; therefore oligopolies can earn abnormal profits in the long run as well unlike firms in monopolistic competition.
In monopolistic competition
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Structures, Objectives & External Influences (view all)
- Marketing Management - Swisher Mower and Machine Company.
- Describe how political, legal and social factors are impacti...
- Evaluate the strategies that a business can adopt during a r...
- Discuss the impact of recent changes in the UK economic envi...
- Sainsbury's Stakeholders and their Job Roles
- How Marks and Spencers applies business ethics.
- BTEC Level 3 In this assignment I will be going to assess ho...
- Comparison of stakeholders interest and influence. Apple vs....
- Analysis of Business Ownership - Partnerships and Soletrader...
- Organisational structures - ASDA+West Cheshire College
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo