- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Euripides was accused by his contempories of being a woman hater. Why do you think this so, and how justified do you think the accusation was?
The first 200 words of this essay...
EURIPIDES WAS ACCUSED BY HIS CONTEMPORIES OF BEING A WOMAN HATER. WHY DO YOU THINK THIS SO, AND HOW JUSTIFIED DO YOU THINK THE ACCUSATION WAS?
CLASSICAL CIVILISATION ESSAY
BY DANIEL HORTON
ITH SOME OF HIS PLAYS, EURIPIDES DID NOT PLEASE HIS MAINLY MALE, Athenian audience with the references made to Athenian hypocrisy and the challenges and questions he raised on some of the moral issues of the time and the questions that he asked in his plays were sometimes ill received such as the role of women etc. Despite this, Euripides did win the tragedy prize with 'Hippolytus' and is revered as a great playwright in present day drama.
From some of the female characters that Euripides develops in his plays, one could assume that Euripides was a misogynist. However, it is wrong to say that all of his female characters are wicked and evil; Euripides has created some wonderful and interesting female characters as well as the wicked ones. Perhaps 'The Assembly Women' actually had wrong motive for their revolt!
In 'Alcestis', the title character, the wife of Admetus (the King of Pherae) sacrifices herself for her husband's
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Compare and Contrast the Characters of Agamemnon and Jason. ...
- Odysseus - admirable character
- A Rose for Emily Tobe's Point of View.
- Chem Lab Report (Paper Chromatography)
- "How do Books 1-4 of the Odyssey prepare us for the int...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.