- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Freud vs. Sophocles
The first 200 words of this essay...
Freud vs. Sophocles
Sun-Tzu said in his Art of War: '"'If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.'"' Every decision and action made is the result of unseen battles between the unconscious and consciousness; man battles against himself as his unconscious tries to make itself the conscious. How much self-knowledge is required to ensure victory when the enemy is one"'"s own unconscious? Or is it wiser to seek knowledge of neither the enemy nor self, but succumb to the battle? The duty of unraveling the struggle between the two psychical forces is fulfilled by Sigmund Freud in his seminal work, The Interpretation of Dreams. By examining the dreams of his patients, Freud identified a comprehensive system that describes the entering of the unconscious into the conscious through the stages of censorship, distortion, displacement, and the preconscious. Sophocles applies Freud"'"s theory to life by adopting the myth of '"'Oedipus the King'"', an exaggerated model that illustrates the workings of the unconscious on everyday life. When information in a man"'"s unconscious threatens his conscious well-being, he will battle then submit to his unconscious due to the inaccessibility of knowledge of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Literary Elements in The Bluest Eye
- Compare and contrast the portrayal of the Gods in Virgil's A...
- Oedipus Rex as a tragic hero.
- Odysseus. Although Odysseus physical characteristics are imp...
- Aeneas can be considered an excellent hero. Discuss.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.