- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Odysseus. Although Odysseus physical characteristics are impressive, his character is far more appealing. He is described as a luckless man, but also as kind, wise, brave, and fearless
The first 200 words of this essay...
Odysseus is a great mythological character. He possesses attributes that are pleasing to the gods who favor him, but also challenging to the gods who are displeased with him. Physically, emotionally, and intellectually he excels above mortal men and can compare with the gods.
Physically Odysseus could be considered the ideal man of his time. He is a tall, handsome, well-built man with exceptional strength and endurance. In Homer's description of Odysseus, he is more like a mythological god, than a mortal man. Through Odysseus' physical characteristics Homer provides the reader with a visual heroic image. With his big rippling thighs, his boxer broad shoulders, his massive chest, and burly arms there was no mortal man that could compare. The reader achieves the feeling that Odysseus is able to physically conquer any circumstance he encounters. I imagine a Sampson-like character that upon first glance anyone would realize his immense physical strength. As time takes its physical toll on Odysseus, Athena comes along and restores his physical beauty and strength. Through this we are reminded that Odysseus is merely a mortal and needs help along the way. This shows that even though he was blessed with
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- To what extent did the Roman emperor Augustus restore the re...
- Oedipus Rex as a tragic hero.
- Internal and External Conflicts in The Odyssey
- Aeneas: a hero, a puppet of the Gods or just a man with a mi...
- "Lysistrata is Funny As a Play but Not As a Character.&...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.