- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Oedipus Rex, written by Sophocles
The first 200 words of this essay...
Oedipus Rex, written by Sophocles is a Greek tragedy built on the basis of a riddle given by the maleficent Sphinx, who in Egypt is considered the protector of the three pyramids, however, the perspective given to us by the narrator in this drama allows us to view that it is really a "disease" which plagues, torments and confines the citizens of Thebes. Despite that fact, the Sphinx can represent all that is rational about man, as in the tragedy she chooses to challenge man's thought and intellect by imposing a riddle in which only those who possess the qualities and abilities could solve such as Oedipus, though arrogant and self-confident, he is the only one of those who tried and---died able to unravel the "mystery" the riddle, or so it may seem.
"What is it that walks on 4 feet and 2 feet and 3 feet and has only one voice, when it walks on most feet it is the weakest?" Oedipus responded confidently with the answer, Man and like the old saying the answer to any great riddle is just as important as the person who answers it. This statement can obviously help to focus
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Determination of Chlorine and Iodine in Water
- How would you direct the actors playing Antigone and Ismene ...
- The Effects of Pride and Power
- The Many Functions of Tiresias in Sophocles' Oedipus Rex
- In Euripides' tragedy, Medea, is plot more important than ch...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.