- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Oedipus the King VS. "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce is a 19th Century mystery story
The first 200 words of this essay...
Ms. Lori Fox
May 19th 2005
Oedipus the King VS. "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge"
"An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce is a 19th Century mystery story that is set at the time of the American Civil War (1861-1865), when the Slave owning Confederate States in the South engaged in conflict with the Federal Government of the USA. The story focuses on a character called Peyton Farquhar, who was about to be hung for trespassing the Owl Creek Bridge. The story ends with a curious twist in the plot. The main aspect of the story is set in Farquhar's mind, however while reading, at the first instinct, the reader is unsure (despite careful, hidden hints placed by Bierce) of this fact. Only at the end, when it is clearly stated that Farquhar is hanging lifelessly with a broken neck from the bridge that the reader will become conclusively aware of this facet. In Oedipus the King by Sophocles', it is a 5th century Greek tragedy play that is set at the time of major battle against the Persian navy also known
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Compare and contrast Oedipus Rex and Faustus as tragedies.
- The Odyssey' places emphasis on cunning and guilefulness rat...
- Is Medea a villain or a victim?
- How far should Oedipus as represented in the Oedipus Rex be ...
- How important is Book 11 to the overall meaning of The Odyss...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.