- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Odyssey as a Hero Journey.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Classics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Langston Kahn 1/13/03
The Odyssey as a Hero Journey
"All of us have similar experiences. We share in the life journey of growth, development, and transformation. We live the same stories...the trappings might be different, the twists and turns that create suspense might be different from culture to culture, the particular characters may take different forms, but underneath it all, it's the same story, drawn from the same experiences"(Linda Seger, Creating Myth, 1).
All people face trials and tribulations throughout their life. Thus, what defines one from one's fellow human beings is not the trials themselves, but how one overcomes the challenges along the journey, as well as the psychological and physical lessons one learns from the actions engaged. Heroes, as depicted in literature, often face the same trials the common man must face, and learn the same lessons, but their actions, reactions, and events are magnified to mythic proportions. Thus, the common man and the mythic hero both follow what Joseph Campbell calls "The Hero's Journey," which is used as a tool to describe the framework for many of the most famous myths of all time. While the story of the Journey first manifested
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Compare and Contrast the Characters of Agamemnon and Jason. ...
- Odysseus - admirable character
- Oedipus Rex as a tragic hero.
- The participation of the Gods makes the Odyssey exciting. Ho...
- How far does the Agamemnon reflect the Perfect Tragedy?
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.