- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Today's competitive global business environment, understanding and managing enterprise wide information is crucial for making timely decisions and responding to changing business conditions.
- Essay length: 3049 words
- Submitted: 22/12/2003
The first 200 words of this essay...
Today's competitive global business environment, understanding and managing enterprise wide information is crucial for making timely decisions and responding to changing business conditions. Many companies are realizing a business advantage by leveraging one of their key assets - business data. There is a tremendous amount of data generated by day-to-day business operational applications. In addition there is valuable data available from external sources such as market research organizations, independent surveys and quality testing labs. Studies indicate that the amount of data in a given organization doubles every five years. Data Warehousing has emerged as an increasingly popular and powerful concept of applying information technology to turn this huge islands of data into meaningful information for better business decisions.
1.1. Data Warehousing
A data warehouse is a subject-oriented, integrated, time-variant, non-volatile collection of data in support of management decisions.
* Subject-oriented means that all relevant data about a subject is gathered and stored as a single set in a useful format;
* Integrated refers to data being stored in a globally accepted fashion with consistent naming conventions, measurements, encoding structures, and physical attributes, even when the underlying operational systems store
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Computer Science (view all)
- Control Unit, Memory Unit, and Arithmetic Logic Unit. The C...
- Signal Theory
- Why its important to have protocols and standards on a netwo...
- Justify a particular installation or upgrade. I have instal...
- Barriers to Communication
- Describe the application and limits of procedural, object or...
- Case Study. LEGAL ISSUES-: Data Protection Act. Whiteman Lei...
- Growth and Influence of Computers and Computing
- Common methods of attack and types of malware
- Designing a data system for a vintage clothes business.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.