- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
‘Even if computers become self-aware, they will never have anything like human souls.’ Discuss.
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Even if computers become self-aware, they will never have anything like human souls.' Discuss.
In order to discuss this topic, I must obtain definitions for the words "computer", "self-aware", and "soul". This is so that I can build my arguments upon a stable base. These definitions have been gathered from 'The Oxford Paperback Dictionary & Thesaurus'.
* Computer - electronic device for storing and processing data, making calculations, or controlling machinery.
* Self - automatic
* Aware - conscious, having knowledge
* Therefore Self-Aware - automatically conscious
* Soul - spiritual or immaterial part of a person.
From this definition of soul, it is obvious that computers have to become a person to have a soul, and this is impossible as (by definition) a person is a human being, and cannot be anything else. However, maybe it is possible for a computer to acquire something very similar to a soul. For example, a computer may be able to have feelings, emotions, consciousness, opinions and other characteristics of human's with souls. These abilities in a computer are known as A.I. (artificial intelligence).
This seems impossible with the computers of this day
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Design and Technology (view all)
- Building and the Environment
- DISPLAY DESIGNER/VISUAL MERCHANDISER
- Third world debt Vs Need for Technology
- Design Principles and Appliction - Constraints
- Direct and Indirect Costs
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.