- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In ‘Journeys End’, R.C Sherriff presents a realistic picture of life in the trenches and an effective portrayal of the horrors of war. How far do you agree with this statement? Include particular reference to setting, tone, characterisation and
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Plays in Drama and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
In 'Journeys End', R.C Sherriff presents a realistic picture of life in the trenches and an effective portrayal of the horrors of war. How far do you agree with this statement? Include particular reference to setting, tone, characterisation and plot.
'Journeys End' by R.C Sherriff is about what life was like for a company of officers in the last few months of the First World War. The play covers six days and is set in a dugout on the front line. This essay explores the realism and the effective portrayal of the horrors of the First World War in 'Journeys End.' R.C Sherriff wrote the play ten years after the war ended in 1928. The gap in time, coupled with the chosen medium of the theatre could distort the true horrors of the war for the audience.
The chosen medium for Sherriff's story is the theatre; this has benefits as well as problems. The staging can show the dim lights and the flashes. It can play the sounds of the trench fighting and No-man's land, however the stage can only show the detail up to a certain extent. For example the stage director could not have live rats
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Plays (view all)
- Blood Brothers evaluation.
- Sean OCaseys "Shadow of a Gunman". How would you p...
- How would you perform the role of Antigone during her first ...
- Outline your set design for Antigone and explain how it woul...
- "Though the most corrupt character in the world of the ...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.