- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In what ways is I have a Dream by Martin Luther King Effective?
The first 200 words of this essay...
In what ways is " I have a Dream" by Martin Luther King Effective?
Martin Luther King was an orator and had to put across his beliefs in an imaginative and emotionally suggestive way. Many of his audience had travelled far to listen to his speech. Many would also be irritable and uncomfortable in the hot august weather, He had to keep them occupied and inspire them in a way that would have positive resonance and not provoke anger and violence. His speech would be televised to the nation and must therefore have been suitable for a variety of audiences (his speech was not purely to be listened to by the black community)
His speech was effective in achieving the above targets in the following way:
The first example of this in the given excerpt of his speech that warms his audience to him is by using we (1st person plural). By this he is treating the group as a whole, as if they are one body that must help each other, very inclusive and warming, making everybody feel equal; it symbolizes brotherhood.
The second example is by welcoming the white people of the congregation,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Plays (view all)
- Evaluate the use of theatre to create comedy in the producti...
- Drama Portfolio - Too much Punch For Judy
- Performance notes on our piece - John Godbers Teechers
- Berkoff's Theatrical Purpose
- Form and Structure in the context of The Caucasian Chalk Cir...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.