- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Road by Jim Cartwright - Notes on the plot and Subject matter of the play.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Road by Jim Cartwright
Notes on the plot and Subject matter of the play
Under the guidance of the Rum-Soaked, wide-boy, Scullery, the audience is taken on an evening tour of a scruffy, depressed road in a small Lancashire town. Moving from street corner to living room, from bedroom to kitchen, the inhabitants, young and middle aged, are presented, showing their socially and emotionally wretched lives in this sharp, sad but often funny play.
Here are people with almost no decent economic prospects living in a soon to be ghost town yet most have enough spirit to resist becoming ghosts themselves. Even the young couple who plan to starve themselves, unable to visualise a future, make their decision with relish, executing a tender dance of death before the fats begins.
By the time we follow two women and a pair of brothers to a compulsive drinks-fest in the shell of an abandoned house, the audience desperately want to believe in the possibility of survival.
The main subject matter is about repressed dreams and a desire to escape. However, the economic obstacle is too high a mountain to climb for the people on
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Plays (view all)
- Read Act 1 of Kindertransport page 3 to page 6 Discuss the ...
- - An ideal husband - Analysis of the play.
- Write a continuous media analysis of the opening of Apocalyp...
- A documentary should tell a good story, whilst developing th...
- How do audiences decode the narrative of Memento?
""Zoey. University Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.