- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Menstrual Cycle
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Menstrual Cycle
At day one the endometrium (womb lining) is breaking down because of the drop in progesterone at the end of the previous cycle.
The low level of progesterone allows follicle stimulating hormones (FSH) to be secreted by the pituitary gland. The rise in FSH stimulates the development of an egg in the ovary and the production of oestrogen by the cells surrounding the egg.
Between days six and twelve the developing egg releases increasing amounts of oestrogen which #1 makes the endometrium thicken #2 eventually reaches a level which tells the pituitary gland to release luteinising hormone (LH). #3 reduces the production of FSH which causes a drop in oestrogen production. #4 days thirteen to fourteen LH peaks this stimulates ovulation then the LH makes cells grow in the space where the egg was (corpus luteum) and the cells release progesterone. Days fifteen to twenty four progesterone maintains the endometrium and increases its blood supply. It inhibits the production of FSH and LH. Days twenty five to twenty eight the low level of LH allows the corpus luteum to break down it no longer makes progesterone and the next period starts. If the egg
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Plays (view all)
- Read Act 1 of Kindertransport page 3 to page 6 Discuss the ...
- - An ideal husband - Analysis of the play.
- Write a continuous media analysis of the opening of Apocalyp...
- A documentary should tell a good story, whilst developing th...
- How do audiences decode the narrative of Memento?
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.