- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Women In Black By Susan Hill.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Women In Black
By Susan Hill
This great novel by Susan hill has been cleverly adapted for theatre production. By creating the play into a play itself, less actors, props and scenery are needed. My first reaction when I saw the scenery and the theatre itself was initially one of distaste as the theatre was shabby and old. But as the play progressed I realised that this all in a way added to the effect and the ambiance of the theatre.
Before you even sat down everything created an atmosphere. From the small discrete bar to the lighting, if you looked for small things you could find them. In the bar, there were oil style lamps with flickering orange candle effect bulbs. And when actually seated in the theatre, blue flickering bulbs were used to create a ghostly effect. There must have been only 80 seats down on the bottom floor, but with the balcony looming overhead, this made the performance more personal.
The stage itself was small and low budget. It consisted of a large wicker basket, used many times as a desk, pony and trap, bed, bureau and others. A
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Theatre Studies (view all)
- In what ways were acting techniques or design elements and d...
- Vinegar Tom - Plot and Subplot
- A Doll's House - Form, structure, and social and historical ...
- I am reciting a Monologue I wrote as Matilda at the end of t...
- Two by Jim Cartwright Notes
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.