- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Vinegar Tom - Plot and Subplot
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Drama and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Plot and Subplot
* The play starts with Alice and 'Man' having sex in a bush. Alice asks to travel to London with the man, but he refuses. Alice then displays interest in the fact that the Man saw a 'Witch' Burn. The man pushes Alice to the ground and she compares him to the Devil as the man himself did at the start of the scene.
The fact that the Man has no name makes us emphasise with Alice, rather then the man. The description of the "Witch" being burnt, also backs this up, but at the same time, gives us a idea of how women in the 17th century were treated, and how the main focus of this, was witchcraft.
* The second scene starts with Jack and Margery, in their house, talking about Hiring a man to help with the fields. They then talk about Alice, and we learn about her lifestyle and her family. Jack and Margery, realising that Betty is walking towards them, start to talk about her instead. As Betty is the daughter of the man who owns the estate where Jack and Margery work, they treat her with
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Theatre Studies (view all)
- Steven Berkoff - East. Social, Cultural & Historical.
- Drama Reflection. Evaluation of the development and improvem...
- A Doll's House - Language
- Two by Jim Cartwright Notes
- Epic Theatre V's Dramatic Theatre.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.