- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
A Suspense Story
The first 200 words of this essay...
What is Inspector Goole's role and function in the play?
Of all the characters in Priestley's play, " An Inspector Calls", Inspector Goole is by far the most enigmatic. On one hand he is a police inspector, investigating the suicide of a working class girl, and on another he is a determined to correct the ignorance of a wealthy middle-class family. He appears in the middle of act 1, interrupting the Birlings' celebratory dinner and essentially shatters the family's ignorance of their wrongdoings, one at a time. His role and function in the play is essential to its message of social responsibility.
Firstly, Inspector Goole's role in the play is to ensure that the Birlings feel aware responsible for their actions and dissuade the audience from making the same mistakes. After he reveals each of the Birlings' involvement in the suicide of Eva Smith, they begin blaming each other individually for her death. However the Inspector interrupts and tells them "...each of you helped to kill her. Remember that. Never forget it." He says this in order to prevent the Birlings from placing blame on an individual person and instead accept responsibility for assisting in driving
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Composition (view all)
- Should The Voting Age Be Lowered To 13?
- Commentary for AS level English Language
- Do people learn who they are only when they are forced into ...
- 1984, V for vendetta
- English Language AS Level Coursework: Creative Writing Piece
- English Writing -The invention I would choose to prevent wou...
- The Good and Bad of Modern Technology
- Is Technology Making Us Stupid?
- Why English Matters as the International Language.
- Looks Could Kill. Barbie is definitely too skinny to be a g...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.