- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Analyse the methods used to make the opening battle sequence of 'Saving Private Ryan' both shocking and realistic, and say how
The first 200 words of this essay...
Analyse the methods used to make the opening battle sequence of 'Saving Private Ryan' both shocking and realistic, and say how effective you find it as an introduction to the film.
The Oscar winning wartime epic, Saving Private Ryan, produced by Steven Spielberg was set in 1998, with an opening half hour sequence that was shattering in its realism and ruthless in its depiction of violence. Saving Private Ryan breaks some of the traditional conventions of the war film genre as hand held cameras operating at incredibly fast shutter speeds, capture the chaos and confusion dozens of soldiers undergo whilst battling for their lives and nation at Omaha Beach, giving the footage a startlingly quality, which is improved by the use of de-saturated colours, which gave the images an almost surreal, silver-grey look, which had the effect of making events that were saddening and disturbing seem more so colourless, lifeless and cold. This also put the audience not only on the beach but into the perspective of the men of the American forces on that day. This film portrays realism as we witness scenes of death the way it was, actual weaponry used and the setting in Normandy where
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- "The Sniper" by Liam O'flaherty - review
- "Attack" by Sassoon critical analysis
- "Dulce et Decorum Est", by William Owen and, "...
- Material: Who's' for the game? - Jessie Pope, and Dulce et ...
- A Comparison of "Who's for the Game" and "Dul...
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.