- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Analysis of short story
Are you in the right place?
Jump to English Language and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
"55 Miles To The Gas Pump" - Text Analysis
The short story "55 Miles To The Gas Pump" by Annie Proulx is from a collection of short stories, the central theme of which is rural life in Wyoming. The story is a short third person narrative centred on the suicide of Rancher Croom and the discovery, by Mrs Croom, of the bodies of the women he murdered, meant to entertain an adult audience as such a sinister plot would be unsuitable for children.
The story seems like a spoken account of recent happenings, like a horror story being told in a bar. The style of each sentence, and so paragraph, being a long string of phrases and clauses is also similar to a string of thoughts. The register is informal and conversational and the lexis is similarly unpretentious:
"...That walleyed cattleman, stray hairs like curling fiddle string ends, that warm-handed, quick-foot dancer..."
Such features add to the story's feeling of being a spoken account between familiar individuals.
The structure of the two long sentences is complicated and disorienting: for example, in the first sentence a series of noun phrases in apposition post-modify the proper
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Language: Context, Genre & Frameworks (view all)
- Exams should be abolished speech
- Commentary for English Language AS. The article I chose to w...
- Grandpas Soup by Jackie Kay and The Coming of Yams and Mango...
- A one to one interaction with an elderly woman Aunty Emily t...
- How Does Language Affect Perception?
- Write a critical analysis of the text you have read. Isabel...
- Two texts that portray food to lack comfort and nourishment ...
- JFK Inaugural Address Analysis
- Reflect on some aspects of your own personal talk (idiolect)...
- Analyse the growth of linguistic development in children. T...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.