- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
'Base Details' by Siegfried Sassoon Miste analysis
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Base Details' by Siegfried Sassoon
By Lee Bell
Base Details is a poem by Siegfried Sassoon and is about how better off the majors were in the First World War, compared to the good men that were dying on the front line. It goes into detail about how the majors were unfit, incompetent old men who did nothing. They were too willing to send men to their deaths and give everyone orders, while they lived their luxurious lives and earned lots of money. It has a regular rhyme scheme except the last two sentences that rhyme.
Sassoon's intention to write this poem was to show how angry he was at the stuck up majors because they did nothing and got the high life, while dying soldiers were fighting for their country. He says what he would be like and do if he was a major and makes a mockery out of them. He also tries to show injustice because the old soldiers lived and the young, fit soldiers died.
The words used in this poem are very simple and direct but are very effective. Sassoon proves that the majors are lazy
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- "The Sniper" by Liam O'flaherty - review
- How reliable and useful are the poem "a Terre" by ...
- Compare the presentation of the psychological effects of war...
- Examine two poems with contrasting attitudes to war. Which i...
- The Horses - Edwin Muir
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo