- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Carlo asserts "War is a wonderful thing, in movies and in books." By close reference to the novel, explore how war shows people at their worst and their best.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Rebecca Brackley - Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Carlo asserts "War is a wonderful thing, in movies and in books." By close reference to the novel, explore how war shows people at their worst and their best.
The novel Captain Corelli's Mandolin, written by Louis De Bernieres in 1994, explores "humanity; we sigh at their suffering as they are ripped apart and forever changed by war."1 The quotation in the title is spoken by Carlo quite early on in the novel, at the end of chapter 15, titled 'L'Omosessuale (4)'. He is referring to the idea that war is repeatedly shown to be patriotic, heroic, and indeed wonderful especially in film and literature. However, from Carlos' experiences in Albania, he knows the true reality of war, as he has seen and felt the suffering.
We can trace Carlos' progression of thought through his personal chapters; all entitled 'L'Omosessuale'. He begins off saying, "How wonderful it was to be at this war"(p.119) We hear him describe crossing the foreign border as "exhilarating", and he and his comrades view themselves as "the new legionaries of the new empire that would last ten thousand years."(p.119) This was his view at
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- History Coursework - World War One Sources Question
- What does 'Heroes' have to say about the nature of heroes, a...
- Use all the sources and your own knowledge to explain whethe...
- The Horses - Edwin Muir
- A Comparison of "Who's for the Game" and "Dul...
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.