- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Chose a poem that has helped you to see the unpleasant side of life - By close reference to the text, show how the use of poetic techniques has helped you to understand this side of life.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Chose a poem that has helped you to see the unpleasant side of life. By close reference to the text, show how the use of poetic techniques has helped you to understand this side of life.
"In Flanders Fields" by John McCrae is a poem that has helped me to appreciate the unpleasant side of life. It is a poem that deals with the reality that soldiers sacrificed their lives for the living, telling them to finish what they started. It also contains a message from the poet John McCrae that we have a responsibility not to replicate the mistakes of the past. The poet uses exceptionally vivid imagery and skilful symbolism, rhyming, steady pace, well-placed punctuation and other poetic techniques to help me understand this side of life.
The imagery used in this poem creates an exceptionally clear picture in the mind's eye of what actually happened 'In Flanders fields'.
"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,"
This quotation gives the reader the picture of red poppies, symbolising blood, leaking out of the ground between the white unnamed crosses showing just how many
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- History Coursework - World War One Sources Question
- What does 'Heroes' have to say about the nature of heroes, a...
- Use all the sources and your own knowledge to explain whethe...
- A Comparison of "Who's for the Game" and "Dul...
- In this part of the essay I will be looking at two recruitin...
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.