- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Compare and contrast the poems 'Brendon Gallacher' and 'Yellow' in terms of language, ideas and imagery.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Carol Ann Duffy and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
COMPARE AND CONTRAST THE POEMS 'BRENDON GALLACHER' AND 'YELLOW' IN TERMS OF LANGUAGE, IDEAS AND IMAGERY
Jackie Kay wrote both the two poems 'Brendon Gallacher' and 'Yellow'. The two poems give many ideas about family relationship. They are also giving an autobiographical view of Jackie Kay's experiences in childhood although the two poems contain a different perspective of her childhood and family relationship. The ideas of family relationship become narrowed down to intimate relationships such as mother-daughter or father-daughter relationships.
The two poems reveal problems in her childhood through ideas such as freedom. In 'Yellow', Jackie Kay uses imagery of birds to convey freedom. The poem 'Brendon Gallacher' tells of Jackie Kay having an imaginary friend. This tells us there may have been difficulties in her childhood and to escape these she would think about other things that would make her forget these problems.
Both poems contain a lot of language, in particular personification. The language is very strong in both poems. In the poem 'Yellow', the idea of freedom is frequently shown through the language in the poem. The first example is, 'the yellow bird I the birdcage is let out'. Throughout the poem
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Carol Ann Duffy (view all)
- Comparing and discussing two poems written by two different ...
- Commentary on Tea By Carol Anne Duffy
- I have been given four depressing poems to study, looking at...
- A Comparison between 'Originally' and 'In Mrs Tilscher's Cla...
- To what extent do you agree that in her poetry Duffy explore...
- Compare the representation of relationships in the poems Tex...
- Light can take on many different forms, some more prominent ...
- Duffy has said that violence and evil arent owned by men. Ho...
- How does Duffy present personal experience of war in Passing...
- Carol Ann Duffy Shooting Stars Analysis
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.