- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Comparing 'Dulce et Decorem Est' with 'Charge of the Light Brigade'
The first 200 words of this essay...
Comparing 'Dulce et Decorem Est' with
'Charge of the Light Brigade'
Although both 'Dulce et Decorum Est´ and 'The Charge of the Light Brigade´ are about battle and the death of soldiers, they portray the experience of war in different ways. The main difference between the poems is the message they express. They seem to be writing about completely different wars. Wilfred Owens poem 'Dulce et Decorum Est,' was written from his point of view as a soldier in the war. It is much more personal and emotive than 'Charge of the Light Brigade.' Tennyson's poem, on the other hand was written as one of his duties as the Poet Laureate at the time. It lacks the detail and also the personal experience that Owens's poem has, and gives the impression that Tennyson does not actually care about the war very much and does not know much about it. 'Charge of the Light Brigade' was written to memorialise a suicidal charge by light cavalry over open terrain by British forces in the Battle of Balaclava in the Crimean War. 247 men of the 637 in the charge were killed or wounded.
Tennyson wrote 'Light
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- Compare the presentation of the psychological effects of war...
- How does Homer portray war in the Iliad?
- Compare and contrast attitudes to war illustrated in Jessie ...
- Compare and contrast the ways in which the theme of Human Su...
- Consider the ways Frayn presents Uncle Peter in 'Spies'
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.