- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Comparison of Poems Elizabeth Jennings: "My Grandmother" Carol Ann Duffy: "In Mrs. Tilscher's Class
The first 200 words of this essay...
Comparison of Poems
Elizabeth Jennings: "My Grandmother"
Carol Ann Duffy: "In Mrs. Tilscher's Class
"Looking back for both poets includes reference to a child - adult relationship. In your comparisons make close references to the poets' use of language. Make clear, in your view, which poem is more successful."
There are many differences AND similarities between the two poems, including use of language, both being autobiographical, and use of smell, but I find that the main difference between the two poems is the way that the past experiences were reflected upon; Elizabeth Jennings looks back on her history with a sense of guilt and regret, but Carol Ann Duffy reminisces about puberty with feelings of fondness and joy. This essay will chart this main difference using the poets' use of language.
In Jennings' poem "My Grandmother", she uses the art of consonance to express her regret in verse one:
"The faded silks, the heavy furniture,
She watched her own reflection in the brass
Salvers and silver bowls, as if to prove
Polish was all, there was no need of love."
All the underlined
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Carol Ann Duffy (view all)
- A Critical Analysis of Carol Ann Duffy's 'In Mrs Tilscher's ...
- Discuss 'Queen Kong' By Carol Ann Duffy
- In Hour Carol Anne Duffy depicts both time and love as enemi...
- Valentine by Carol Ann Duffy is an irregular poem with a dir...
- Compare and contrast the poems Mrs Faust and Eurydice
- Compare the representation of relationships in the poems Tex...
- Light can take on many different forms, some more prominent ...
- Duffy has said that violence and evil arent owned by men. Ho...
- How does Duffy present personal experience of war in Passing...
- Carol Ann Duffy Shooting Stars Analysis
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.