- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Consider the ways in which The author creates suspense in the Opening chapters of the novel - Enduring Love.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Consider the ways in which
The author creates suspense in the
Opening chapters of the novel.
The opening of Enduring Love is very effective for many reasons, such as use of words, the styles and techniques of writing, and themes that are introduced.
The narrator is Joe. Although he seems to be very controlled and sensible, it is clear from reading the first five chapters of the book, that he is not quite as reliable as he seems. He thinks about everything in a scientific manor and can give clear and detailed accounts of the things he sees and experiences, he is able to do this because of his rational way of thinking about things. As the story progresses it becomes clear that Joe can be manipulative in the way he does explain things.
McEwan intentionally places certain phrases throughout the opening that capture the reader that makes them continue reading. The first example is, "The beginning is simple to mark," which is short and basic, and allows the reader to imagine what is going to happen next. The reader is curious to find out how the rest of the story is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Ian McEwan (view all)
- How does Ian McEwan engage the interest of the reader in Cha...
- How does Ian McEwan hook the reader in the opening three cha...
- Discuss how McEwan uses the setting in part one of "Ato...
- Enduring Love
- In this passage of Saturday, McEwan employs techniques which...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.