- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Disabled By Wilfred Owen
Are you in the right place?
Jump to War Poetry and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
By Wilfred Owen
In my essay,"Disabled" by Wilfred Owen. I am going to describe how successfully he uses poetic techniques to present the true effects of war in his poem. The main technique used in the poem is contrast, as well as other techniques. Which makes the fate of the young man more pitiful. The use of irony, word choice, and powerful images, all create the sense of atmosphere in each stanza.
The contrast of mood and tone is used in the first and second stanza, which creates a change of mood. In the first stanza words like "ghastly" and phrases like, "saddening like a hymn", are used by Owen to create a dull and depressing mood. Which represents the mans present life in which he is stuck in. Then in the second stanza words like "gay" are used to create a mood that is very happy and joyful. Which represented the mans past life, before the injury.
Contrast is also related to the irony in the poem. Firstly, before his injury all the girls loved him and were fighting to get their hands on him. One of the main reasons he went to
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- History Coursework - World War One Sources Question
- What does 'Heroes' have to say about the nature of heroes, a...
- Use all the sources and your own knowledge to explain whethe...
- This essay will be a comparison of two photographers, namely...
- World War One Trench Warfare Sources Questions
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.