- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Discuss ways in which Owen presents the experience of the soldier in A Terre. In your answer explore the effects of language, imagery and verse form, and consider how his relates to other poems that you have studied
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss ways in which Owen presents the experience of the soldier in A Terre. In your answer explore the effects of language, imagery and verse form, and consider how his relates to other poems that you have studied.
In Owen's original prologue for his collection of poems he wrote 'My subject is war, and the pity of war'. In 'A Terre' Owen focuses in on the extent of suffering each man went through, as he captures this soldiers thoughts and feelings through this moving monologue. Dominic Hibberd argues that Owen is 'unique' in the way he deals with the survivors of the First World War; perhaps due to the time he spent recovering from neurasthenia at Craiglockhart in late 1917.
This poem begins with a three-worded sentence, and continues to come off jerky on the ear throughout. This creates an immediate sense of breathlessness in the soldier's voice, which is later reinforced as he fantasizes that one day 'wind would work it's own way to my lungs'. From this we can assume that he is a gas case. This clipped, breathless speech has a jarring effect on the ear, giving a sense of awkwardness to the soldier's voice.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- Dulce et Decorum Est Critical Essay.
- The Haber Process
- "Attack" by Sassoon critical analysis
- What is the significance of the title "Heroes", wr...
- A Comparison of "Who's for the Game" and "Dul...
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.