- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
ENGA2 - Investigation into the representation of the May 2011 Alternative Vote Referendum in articles from the Telegraph, Guardian, and Sun newspapers
The first 200 words of this essay...
Investigation into the representation of the May 2011 Alternative Vote Referendum in articles from the Telegraph, Guardian, and Sun newspapers.
I have chosen to analyse three texts from the time of the May 2011 Alternative Vote Referendum. One from the Guardian newspaper, in favour of introducing the Alternative Vote (AV) system, and one each from the Telegraph and the Sun newspapers, both against AV, and the referendum itself.
The first text is an article from the May 3rd edition of the Telegraph, entitled 'Vote to thwart this destructive meddling". I expect The Telegraph, being a traditionally right-of-centre publication and oftentimes supporter of the Conservative Party, would be opposed to the AV referendum and AV itself, as that is the policy of the Conservatives, and this article confirms that, as it derides the system and the referendum throughout.
In the first paragraph of the article, the author states that "this referendum is a thoroughly unwelcome distraction from the far more pressing matters facing the nation". This independent clause suggests that the AV referendum is bad for Britain, as it will distract the public and politicians from issues much more serious. The common noun 'distraction' is used within the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Language: Context, Genre & Frameworks (view all)
- Exams should be abolished speech
- Grandpas Soup by Jackie Kay and The Coming of Yams and Mango...
- Language Aquisition Notes
- Symbolism in The Kite Runner
- Commentary for English Language AS. The article I chose to w...
- Write a critical analysis of the text you have read. Isabel...
- Two texts that portray food to lack comfort and nourishment ...
- JFK Inaugural Address Analysis
- Reflect on some aspects of your own personal talk (idiolect)...
- Analyse the growth of linguistic development in children. T...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.