- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
English can be seen as - A) world lingua franca, which will become a positive force for global unity or B) A 'monstrous weed', reaching out and strangling all other indigenous languages and cultures in its path. Discuss
Not what you were searching for?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discussion of the tension between these two views: English can be seen as,
A/ world lingua franca, which will become a positive force for global unity or
B/ A 'monstrous weed', reaching out and strangling all other indigenous languages and cultures in its path.
An attempt at a full discussion of this title can only ever take place on a superficial level if it is to be confined to the usual word limit of an essay. In order to understand the role ,,of the English language in the world today and its possibilities in the future, then we must look to the past to examine critically how it has developed. We will be returning to the forces which cause language to shift, change and develop: the social; economic; political and the technological. In linguistic terms, it is really helpful if we try to see these forces both diachronically and synchronically. I believe that we will ultimately see that the majority of these forces and factors are out of the control of one nation; that occasionally, world councils or organisations have a go at manipulating language development but 1 am convinced that such attempts
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Language: Context, Genre & Frameworks (view all)
- Exams should be abolished speech
- Grandpas Soup by Jackie Kay and The Coming of Yams and Mango...
- Language Aquisition Notes
- Commentary for English Language AS. The article I chose to w...
- "Anita and me" Meera Syal - Examine the ways in wh...
- Write a critical analysis of the text you have read. Isabel...
- Two texts that portray food to lack comfort and nourishment ...
- JFK Inaugural Address Analysis
- Reflect on some aspects of your own personal talk (idiolect)...
- Analyse the growth of linguistic development in children. T...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.