- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
For this project I am going to analyse how women and men behave when using language in casual situations?
There have been many previous research finding and conclusions about gender and conversational behaviour.
For example Jennifer Coates identified two approaches, which she describes as dominance and difference. Jennifer Coates was a writer to wrote about the language differences between men and women.
Dominance argues that because women occupy a less powerful position in society than men, their constitutional behaviour is less assertive and less confident. Men are dominant within society, so it is not surprising that they tend to dominate mixed sex conversations.
Women are said to be used to male dominance, and as a result of social conditioning will often be polite and respectful when speaking to men.
Whereas the idea of difference is where the focus is more on differences in male and female attitudes and values, that are said to be inculcated from childhood, when we form, and are influenced by, single sex peer groups. Studies of children's play have found that in boy's games there is more emphasis on competition and confrontation, while girl's
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Language: Context, Genre & Frameworks (view all)
- Exploring the genre and style of the Political Interview - P...
- When comparing the two travel based texts, the different way...
- Language Aquisition Notes
- Investigating how language has changed in children's litera...
- In four separate paragraphs of about 100 words each write ab...
- Language Investigation. This essay will show the evolvement...
- How do three different types of reports of the death of Tony...
- Text Commentary - Text 25 (Food Glorious Food Anthology)
- Text Commentary - Text 17 (Food Glorious Food Anthology)
- Text Comparision - Food in "Oliver Twist" and Pete...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.