- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
English Language Investigation Into The Differences In The Use Of Hedging Between Genders.
- Essay length: 6453 words
- Submitted: 13/04/2011
The first 200 words of this essay...
English Language Investigation
In my language investigation I will be looking into one of the many variations found within the English Language today particularly around the controversial issue of language and gender. The topic of this investigation will be looking into the variations between both genders when using hedges within conversation. I will investigate the different way these certain words are used as well as the frequencies between the genders. Hedging is a choice of wording that shows uncertainty within conversation, for example: 'maybe', 'like' and 'kind of'
The idea for this study was sparked through the research into the variations regarding language and gender, where a number of differing theories were found; it was these differences that generated an interest into further, private research into which could possibly, if any, prove correct.
The studies and resulting theories can be split up into a number of categories that they tend to come under: dominance theory and difference theory. The difference theories at their most basic suggest men and women's language differ due to different inherent social position that is reinforced throughout their lives, meaning that both men and women have different intentions when in conversations
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Language: Context, Genre & Frameworks (view all)
- Exams should be abolished speech
- Commentary for English Language AS. The article I chose to w...
- Grandpas Soup by Jackie Kay and The Coming of Yams and Mango...
- "Anita and me" Meera Syal - Examine the ways in wh...
- Language Aquisition Notes
- Write a critical analysis of the text you have read. Isabel...
- Two texts that portray food to lack comfort and nourishment ...
- JFK Inaugural Address Analysis
- Reflect on some aspects of your own personal talk (idiolect)...
- Analyse the growth of linguistic development in children. T...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.