- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
english literature unit 1 assignment 2
The first 200 words of this essay...
The women in Spies are mainly presented through the eyes of the younger Stephan, whose growing maturity means that his views often change throughout the novel. It is important to note that his views may be mixed due to the nature of the main women in the text; Mrs Hayward and Barbara Berrill; they do not portray the typical attitudes of women in the 1940 era.
Stephen's particular attention to Mrs Hayward when comparing their families greatness to his own is important, because it shows early on that he notices things about women that he finds particularly remarkable; this is apparent when the older Stephan ponders whether his younger self 'would have perceived the grace and sincerity of Keith's mother quite so clearly if his own hadn't spent most of the day in a faded apron, sighing and anxious?' It is clear that Stephen admires Mrs Hayward for her social appearance amongst the women of the era. The attention to details of Mrs Hayward such as 'her perfectly plucked eyebrows' is a clear indication that the admiration of her by Stephan soon turns to fixation as he steps into the world of adolescence,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Authors (view all)
- The Destructors by Graham Greene
- Commentary on The Nine Tailors
- Analysis of Act 1 of 'Vernon God Little'
- Presentation of Womanhood in Toni Morrison's Sula
- Oranges are Not the Only Fruit can be interpreted as a comin...
- The Trial is a patchwork of allegories. To what extent do yo...
- How does Faulks present death throughout the novel?
- How is John Hilliard's character developed, in the novel &qu...
- Betrayal is the central theme portrayed throughout Katherine...
- How does the author reflect the changes in power in Afghanis...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.