- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Equus Essay. Although it is obvious that Shaffer intended both Frank and Dora to seem like normal, average people and good parents, his portrayal of Dora leads the audience to believe the contrary. She is one of the least likable characters in Equus and t
The first 200 words of this essay...
Q: Comment closely on scene 11, paying particular attention to the light it sheds on Dora's character and her role in Alan's crime
Although it is obvious that Shaffer intended both Frank and Dora to seem like normal, average people and good parents, his portrayal of Dora leads the audience to believe the contrary. She is one of the least likable characters in Equus and thus the easiest to blame for Alan's crime. Though other factors do contribute to Alan's blinding of six horses, it seems instinctual and thus wholly acceptable to blame Dora for Alan's pain.
There would be absolutely no reason for Dora to behave the way she does with Dysart if she truly believed in her own innocence: Shaffer mentions in the stage directions that she is "uncomfortable" and punctuates her last few lines in the scene with an "uncomfortable pause". Afraid that Dysart will find the majority of the magnetizing moments in Alan's "chain of shackles" as her work, Dora makes up excuses to mask this combination of guilt and fear she feels. Mixed in with these feelings is her resentment of Alan, resentment that his actions have cast shadows of doubt on
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Play Writes (view all)
- "Lady Windermere's Fan is a moral play about immoral pe...
- Equus Essay. In the play Equus by Peter Shaffer, Shaffer use...
- Explore the ways R.C. Sherriff presents the attitudes of ke...
- How does the opening of Alan Bennetts The History Boys intro...
- Pygmalion. The identity of Eliza how does it change and is ...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.