- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explore the main ideas presented in Rouenby May Wedderburn Cannan. How effective is it in exploring ideas about the First World War? Consider the structure, imagery and language.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to War Poetry and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Explore the main ideas presented in "Rouen". How effective is it in exploring ideas about the First World War? Consider the structure, imagery and language.
There are various key ideas that have been presented in "Rouen" by May Wedderburn Cannan. She has made a great use of different literary devices to describe her realities of war on the frontline whilst she worked as a VAD nursing injured soldiers. Regarding its wider use in exploring ideas about the First World War; it is a primary source and is about her experiences and the feelings that she had undertaken. Therefore we have first-hand evidence to use to compare and contrast against other poetry of the time.
Wedderburn Cannan makes great use of nature and environment to describe and illustrate what she had experienced. She starts firstly by describing her transition to getting to Rouen and then speaks of all the young men with their "heart breaking mirth"; here she describes them as if they are all having fun and enjoying their comradeship. Thereafter she juxtaposes this idea with the "train full of wounded" who are being transported away due to the travesty presented thenceforth in Rouen. "Men who came from
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- "The Soldier" by Rupert Brooke: Language, theme an...
- Compare and contrast the ways in which the horrors of war ar...
- Francis Character Analysis
- Analysis of Does It Matter? by Siegfried Sassoon
- Compare the presentation of the psychological effects of war...
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.