- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Geographical Variation of English.
- Essay length: 3013 words
- Submitted: 18/03/2004
The first 200 words of this essay...
Topic: Geographical Variation
Student ID: 03912211
Name: Hu Chun-Shan
Tutor: Dr Mark Garner
Number of Words: 2800
Geographical Variation of English
As we know, English is the global language and due to this phenomenon it has changed a lot over time, such as historical variation, situational variation and geographical variation. Only a few centuries ago, the English language comprised a collection of dialects spoken in a small island by monolinguals (people who use only one language). Nowadays, it has varieties of distinction such as pidgins and creoles, "new Englishes", and a range of differing standard and non-standard varieties that are spoken in more than sixty different countries all over the world. As a matter of fact, most people tend to associate English with different English-speaking areas. But when they consider regional varieties of English, they also have to confront the issue of dialect. The difference between accent and dialect seems relatively simple to describe. For example, accent consists of pronunciation; dialect consists of grammar; words and their meanings, and pronunciation, but it is hard to define the boundaries. (Graddol et al., 1996)
In this assignment, I will focus on the geographical
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Language: Context, Genre & Frameworks (view all)
- "Words are more treacherous and powerful than we think&...
- Text transformation
- Irregularities - essay
- To what extent do symbolic representations such as language,...
- Compare the use of language of the two editorials
- Write a critical analysis of the text you have read. Isabel...
- Two texts that portray food to lack comfort and nourishment ...
- JFK Inaugural Address Analysis
- Reflect on some aspects of your own personal talk (idiolect)...
- Analyse the growth of linguistic development in children. T...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.