- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How does Dickinson mock puritan values in her poems?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Dickinson poetry is a concentrated attack on the customs and rituals of puritan society. With reference to 'the world is not conclusion' and other poems, discuss whether you agree with this statement.
Dickinson poem 'the world is not conclusion' does not reflect a concentrated attack however she does mock puritanism and undermine its values, although she is a religious catholic Christian herself she feels that people do not understand religion like she does and that they are trying understand something which they never will. She conveys in the poem that there is an afterlife and how it undiscovered 's you have to go through it to know, suggests that she has experienced death. mentions themes of puritanism and death in this poem, similar themes are discussed in 'I felt a funeral in my brain' and 'There's a certain slant of light'.
Dickinson starts poem 501 with the lines 'This world is not Conclusion.' this line shows that Dickinson is certain that there is afterlife, this line also shows confidence in the speakers tone suggesting that maybe Dickinson has experienced this to be so certain. This line is paradoxical since since in this line she is suggesting that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Poets (view all)
- Write about the significance of the way Auden writes about c...
- The Cockroach - Kevin Halligan
- IMAGE OF EAGLE IN ALLAMA IQBALS POETRY
- Literary analysis of 'The Going' by Thomas Hardy
- Reveal the Journey in This is a photograph of me Margaret A...
- How does Coleridge tell the story in part 1 of Rime of the A...
- How does Coleridge tell the story in part 3 of Rime of the A...
- How does Coleridge tell the story in part 4 of Rime of the A...
- Comment on the language and tone of Hardy' poem "Afterw...
- Critical Analysis on 'Do not go gentle into that good night'...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.