- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How Does Medea's Personality Shift During the Play ?
The first 200 words of this essay...
How Does Medea's Personality Shift or Change During the Play?
In the play Medea, the mythical Greek hero , Jason abandons his wife Medea and prepares to marry Princess Glauce of Corinth to secure a throne and the power and wealth of the kingdom. These events trigger various transformations in Medea's character and emotional state; from suicidal despair at the beginning of the play, to apprehension and indecision when first faced with killing her children and finally to remorseless fury which leads her to undertake unnatural means to achieve her revenge.
The play immediately introduces us to Medea's total despair after being abandoned by Jason, giving the audience new insight into how Medea's intense emotional pain turns her against those who inflict it (Jason) and all of his emotional attachments (Glauce and his children.) Early in the play, Medea demands "What use is life to me?" (line 96), showing her sadness and helplessness in the wake of her abandonment by Jason. With this line Euripedes implores the audience to sympathize with Medea who appears to be victimized by Jason's callous behavior.
Medea's conflicting impulses about killing her children are revealed in her monologue in lines 1018-1080. In
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Playwrights (view all)
- Antigone by Sophocles presents a moral conflict over whether...
- Do you think murmurin judges is a hopless play?
- Achebe portrayed Ekwefi(TM)s relationship
- An audience's responce to Hedda gabler in Act 1
- After the Lost War
- In Oedipus Rex by Sophocles, hubris is the essential cause o...
- Choose a character from Everyman. How does this character re...
- "Medea" by Euripides. Discuss whether the play is...
- Medea's murder of her children means that she cannot be rega...
- Vasquez is instrumental to the tragedy, but is not himself a...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'