- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How does Othellos character change over the course of the play?
The first 200 words of this essay...
How does Othello's character change over the course of the play?
Othello changes the most drastically, from being an affectionate and respectful General, modifying into a violent, ruthless man. A.C Bradley quite rightly quotes "If such a passion as jealousy seizes him, it will swell into a well-night incontrollable flood". This dormant emotion would inevitably be released in a fury of furious rage once Iago penetrated his delicate mind. From the start of the play the audience encounters a well-honest decent person, even being respectful to Brabantio "Good seignior" after he accuses him of stealing his "white ewe". Throughout Othello's life, he has earned respect, climbing his way up the ranks, despite his skin tone, and expects respect back. Displaying his intense love for Desdemona, "I won his daughter" almost treating Love as a game, but, loving her deeply that when he kills her out of sheer anger, suicide is the only escape from a life without his love. As Iago works his magic "scurvy and provoking terms against your honour", the seeds of jealousy has been growing, all it takes for Othello to tip over the edge is ideas, trickling over the course of the play, growing his
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Othello (view all)
- Presentation of Relationships in Othello
- To what extent does Act 3 Scene 3 represent a turning point ...
- Animal Imagery in Othello
- Deception in Othello
- An Exploration of Imagery in Othello
- Examine the friendship between Othello and Iago and how it l...
- How does Shakespeare use representation of speech and other ...
- Othellos jealousy and the speed at which it develops are abs...
- A tragic play centres on peripeteia. To what extent can Act ...
- To what extent can Othello be considered as a 'tragic hero'?
""Zoey. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.