- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How far is the title Deaths Kingdom appropriate for this section?
The first 200 words of this essay...
How far is the title 'Death's Kingdom' appropriate for this section?
Throughout the Great War, the attitudes and opinions of not only the public, but also the soldiers of England varied throughout its course. As the war started out, there were high hopes and patriotic idealism which ruled the opinions of the home front and the fighting men. These ideal images of 'valiant and brave soldiers' fighting the 'Boche' slowly deteriorated as the mass losses of men became everyday occurrences. The attitudes of many, including the poets in the anthology, changed. Many started to resent what the war stood for, and the 'brave and noble' sacrifices the men had to make for some general sat safely in an office. Death's Kingdom shows this realisation of the horrors of war and also captures the emotions and attitudes in the poems within this section.
'To my daughter Betty' by T. M. Kettle, shows the attitude of a father who has experienced the horrors of the war and realises that the soldiers he fought with "Died not for flag, nor King, nor Emperor" like they were told but for the Country's belief of "a dream born in a herdsman's shed". Moreover,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- History Coursework - World War One Sources Question
- What does 'Heroes' have to say about the nature of heroes, a...
- Use all the sources and your own knowledge to explain whethe...
- This essay will be a comparison of two photographers, namely...
- World War One Trench Warfare Sources Questions
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.