- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
'In Marabou Stork Nightmares Irvine Welsh graphically portrays the impact patriarchal imperatives, norms and ideals exert on the psychological disposition of the underprivileged working-class youth'. Analyse Welsh's novel in light of this remark.
The first 200 words of this essay...
'In Marabou Stork Nightmares Irvine Welsh graphically portrays the impact patriarchal imperatives, norms and ideals exert on the psychological disposition of the underprivileged working-class youth,' (Berthold Schoene-Harwood). Analyse Welsh's novel in light of this remark.
The text I have chosen to focus on is Irvine Welsh's, 'Marabou Stork Nightmares,' as I have found it particularly interesting I comparison to the other novels. Irvine Welsh introduces us to the wildly active, albeit coma-beset mind of Roy Strang, whose hallucinatory quest to eradicate the evil Marabou Stork keeps being interrupted by disturbing memories of social and family dysfunction that brought him to this state.
In the novel Welsh portrays Roy as an anti-hero, someone that believes that violence is the answer when fighting to earn power and respect. This is something that Roy that Roy believes he is entitled to as a man, however, it is clear throughout the novel and it is also pointed out in 'The Dark Continent of Masculinity' that Roy is, ... 'under enormous pressure to assert himself as a man.'
As mentioned previously, power is a major theme and at different stages of the novel, different characters hold the power over others. There is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hamlet (view all)
- How does Shakespeare present aspects of love in Hamlet?
- "In the play Hamlet, Ophelia and Gerturde are both vict...
- Hamlet- What is the dramatic significance of the nunnery sce...
- The Women in Hamlet are Weak and Morally Suspect: Discuss
- How does Shakespeare present the Theme of Revenge in "H...
- Hamlet's Procrastination : a Study on his Failure to Act
- An Analysis of Hamlets Philosophy of Life and Death in Willi...
- Show how Shakespeare presents a disordered and corrupt state...
- The tragedy of Hamlet is that as a character of an Elizabeth...
- Why does Hamlet still matter?
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'