- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In Melvilles Bartleby the Scrivener, Melville displays the life of a person, named Bartelby, who does almost nothing with his life except write.
The first 200 words of this essay...
In Melville's "Bartleby the Scrivener," Melville displays the life of a person, named Bartelby, who does almost nothing with his life except write. Even latter in the story, Bartelby gives up writing and on life itself. Melville's story brings up two major themes, which include writing and freedom. The story revolves around scriveners whose job it is to constantly copy documents and in a sense become a slave to writing. Bartelby, though one of the scriveners, resists the command to do exactly what he is told and as the story unfolds, he consistently refused to do what he was told. This defiance leads the reader to question whether Bartelby was protecting his freedom or just setting himself up for an early demise. Barthe includes in his essay "The Death of the Author" that the author has no control over how his work is interpreted and the reader must decide what the work truly means. Authors are only limited to being authors when they are in the midst of writing but once they have finished their work and are not writing then the Authors are no longer authors. Freedom is constantly emphasized throughout Melville's story because Bartelby chooses
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Authors (view all)
- How does Auden portray his grief and loss in Funeral Blues?
- Social outsiders are often treated in a cruel and unjust way...
- In the writing of Edgar Allan Poe, we see investigations int...
- Analysis of characters in the yellow wallpaper
- The Age of Innocence - Ultimately a study of failure and fru...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.