- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
In what ways do these two poets tell their stories so that readers will be shocked and moved?Which poem shocked and moved you more and why?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Poetry of Violence and Injustice in Irish History
In what ways do these two poets tell their stories so that readers will be shocked and moved?
Which poem shocked and moved you more and why?
The two poems that I will be comparing and contrasting are "The Eviction" (from Laurence Bloomfield in Ireland) by the poet called William Allingham and "Claudy" by James Simmons.
William Allingham was born in Co, Donegal in 1924 and he died in 1989. During his life he worked as a customs officer, first in Ireland then in England where he settled in 1963. His friends in the literary world were people such as Rosetti and Tennyson.
James Simmons died at the age of 68 in June 2001. He taught at Friends School Lisburn for five years before moving to Africa to teach English in a school in Nigeria. He then returned to Coleraine and taught in the University of Ulster. He was born into a Protestant family who lived in Londonderry where his grandfather was the major. His reason for writing the poem "Claudy" was as a result of the I.R.A. setting off three
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Seamus Heaney (view all)
- Consider Heaney's presentation of relationships in Act of Un...
- The Tollund Man
- Follower is a poem written by the renowned poet Seamus Heane...
- Explore Heaney's Presentation Of The Irish Conflict In, &quo...
- Analyse how Seamus Heaney uses language to convey his childh...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.