- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Lady Macbeth seems strong, but in the end is tremendously weak.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Macbeth and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Lady Macbeth, Not What She Seems
In the play Macbeth by William Shakespeare, Lady Macbeth seems to be a power-hungry, greedy, strong woman, yet be the end of the play, Lady Macbeth is so mentally weak that she has a complete collapse. Like so many other things in the play, things are not what they seem to be. In the very first scene, the three witches chant, "Fair if four, and foul is fair" (1.1 12). Lady Macbeth seems fair on the outside, but urges her husband to commit a foul murder. Lady Macbeth seems strong, but in the end is tremendously weak.
Even though King Duncan grants Macbeth Thane of Cawdor and gives Lady Macbeth a ring to show his appreciation, Lady Macbeth is not satisfied. Macbeth had heard from three witches that he would be king, and Lady Macbeth is willing to do anything to get Macbeth to that position. Lady Macbeth is the seemingly strongest character in the play, pushing Macbeth to commit the murder. This strength is exhibited when she questions Macbeth's manhood. "Unsex me here, and fill me from the crown to the toe-top full of direst cruelty" (1.5 40-43). When Macbeth
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Macbeth (view all)
- What is the importance of the opening scene of Macbeth and t...
- Villain or victim? Is Macbeth a victim of external circumsta...
- Macbeth was led down to an inescapable road of doom by an ou...
- How does Shakespeare characterize the witches?
- It is not only the heros character that feeds into the const...
- Examine Macbeth's mental deterioration throughout the play.
- The Importance of the Three Witches in Macbeth
- Macbeth as a Tragic Hero
- The relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth and how it...
- To what extent can Lady Macbeth be seen as a female gothic p...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.